Wednesday, March 2, 2011

River - Sniffer Extraordinaire

Remember the Goal

It's all for OUR dogs...

To find a producer or celeb or anyone who will help make Piper's Someday  (the book River stars in) into a movie. If you can help, contact me!

Day 56 of 365

Here's how the story begins:   (start here if you are new)

http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

River's wags of wisdom for today: "When you are sniffing out the urinal message boards, be sure to leave a sample."

Today, I got Skype. Wow. I had no idea.

We humans communicate on a whirlwind of levels - e-mail, twitter, twitvid, youtube, facebook, skype, texts, instant messaging, and perhaps just a cell phone or even a landline.

Landline?

We are overly connected but that's okay because I love people and think it's an amazing world we live in that I can buy a fifty dollar camera, attach it to my computer, and then talk to someone in Sweden, South Africa, the Netherlands, Japan, Vietnam...you name it.

For dogs, the essence of communication is not all that much different.

Dogs are thought to pee on things like a mailbox post, or a patch of grass, or a fire hydrant because they are "marking" their territory. But, actually, they are texting each other via an incredible molecular message board. (I read this in the wordy book I'm reading about dogs.) When dogs urinate on something - anything, they are sending a message about how old they are and if they want to mate. In addition, they will signal to another dog their recent victories and how often they walk by this particular spot in the hood. Pee spots are what she calls in her book "the community center bulletin board, with old deterioriating messages peeking out from behind more recent posts of activity and successes." I'm starting to love Alexandra Horowitz for writing this book (Inside of a Dog). It's really fascinating if you can hurdle over the large words.

I imagine River says this. I'm going on nine. I have several boyfriends so my status is "I'm taken." My biggest victory is that I'm down a leg but I'm peeing write on top of this last message to say, "I'M HERE!"

The last thing River says when she pees on the community bulletin board is...

"Read my mom's book."

At least that's what I hope she might say.

Dogs have all the communication we do. They just pee on it and then the others know what the haps are in the neighborhood.

Who knew?

Love to you all today,

Ruth and River


River loves a stick...in this photo, she's looking for the neighbor. She loves to flirt with him.

For more on Piper's Someday, please go Amazon or http://www.ruthperkinson.net/ or to http://www.bellabooks.com/

Love, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment