Thursday, March 3, 2011

River - New tests...

Remember the Goal

It's all for OUR dogs...

To find a producer or celeb or anyone who will help make Piper's Someday  (the book River stars in) into a movie. If you can help, contact me!

Day 56 of 365

Here's how the story begins:   (start here if you are new)

http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

River's wags of wisdom for today: "When you exhibit unusual behavior, let mom take you to the vet."

Like many of you, I have a great veterinarian who has been handling my dogs for years. Her name is Dr. Carolyn Evans and her practice is Quioccasin Veterinary Hospital here in Richmond. I live very close and took River by today because the scab at her incision site had completely healed and it was *gross* hanging on to one of the ten or so staples she still needed to have come out.

I also noticed that she was drinking more water than normally and seemed bloated. If you refer to Monday's blog, you'll see her "goat bloat" as I named it. When I took her in, I asked Dr. Evans to check her out to see if I was just dreaming it up. You know how we can dote.

Well, a blood test later revealed that some of her liver values were high and then they asked for a urine sample. Since I just blogged about urine yesterday, I thought it to be a bit apropos. So, I ran around the yard following River with a plastic container to get the sample.

When a dog has three legs...there are some fringe benefits with getting a sample...once she squatted and started...no problem.

Tonight, I'm a bit worried, I won't lie to you. River has been through a lot and has a strong will to live but I know that cancer is tricky and that complications are part of the journey.

You, the reader of this blog, is what we both live for every day. River, every day, sits behind my chair as I write this out and I tell her that she is changing the world.

I'm worried about her health and what the results will be tomorrow from the urinalysis and what the oncologist will tell Dr. Evans; however, I know my dog has a strong spirit and she's still eating her food like its the happiest time of her day.

So, my mom said to me - "one thing at a time."

Today, I will listen to her and go be with River and Heather.

Thank you for your support.

Love,

Ruth and River


All of the staples are out, now I just need to work on that reflection in her eyes...or, maybe not.

Love, Love.

Piper's Someday: go to http://www.ruthperkinson.net/ or to http://www.bellabooks.com/

2 comments:

  1. Your mom is so correct.

    I'm currently living with a dog at the end of life situation. Each day I look at Indy and watch to see if anything has changed. Last week my vet said to keep doing what I was doing. Indy still enjoys his food, still slowly wanders the yard and loves to lay on my feet... each day is a bonus day of love and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear River is having a problem. Hopefully it is something correctable like a reaction to chemo meds. Keeping positive thoughts for you both. Keep us posted.
    Joan Mitchell

    ReplyDelete