Sunday, March 6, 2011

River - Fun for the rest of my life!


It's all for OUR dogs...

Our goal: To find a producer or celeb or anyone who will help make Piper's Someday  (the book River stars in) into a movie. If you can help, contact me!

Day 59 of 365

Here's how the story begins:   (start here if you are new)

http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

River's wags of wisdom for today: "When your moms go out of town, be good with the dogsitter and don't keep her up all night with sniffs, bathroom requests, and heavy panting."

It's good to count on people. My friend Lee is so reliable, sweet, and good to River. I ask her to dog sit sometimes and she always, always shows up. Lee is one of the smartest, sweetest people I know. She helped me move last summer and has dog sat for our Massachusetts trip and then our California trip.

Last night, Heather and I wanted to go dancing and get the heck out of Richmond. We landed an hour and a half a way at the Residence Inn Marriott. The highlight of the evening was eating at a restaurant called the Freemason Abbey. There was a bartender there by the name of Fleur and she was very sweet and friendly and wonderful. Heather and I had great conversation and then we went to the gay bar in Norfolk. They were having a drag show that night...not much dancing...and so we gave away some dollars and drove home late - about 1:00 a.m.

I haven't been up that late in a long time. We reeked of smoke, so we took showers and landed in bed. I was sorry we couldn't slow dance like Heather wanted but know that we can get to GCLS in June and do some slow dancing there. For those of you who don't know, GCLS is a literary society for lesbian literature. I write some of dat.

On the way home, I told Heather that I want River to have a really good life for what is left of it. I also told her that I don't want her to suffer. I'm worried about the extra water intake and the liver values being so high and the other values off. She seems panty, agitated (at night mostly), and not her usual self. So, my worry-o-meter has gone up a bit. When I see the oncologist this week, I want to have a "chinwag" with her to see what we can do to make all of River's days comfortable.

I wish River could talk and tell me what's making her uncomfortable. I wish all dogs could share more with their owners...but, we watch for the signs and then do what we think is best. River will never suffer. My other dog, Scout, as far as I know did not suffer unduly. I believe it is our role as the "owner" to get them to heaven before the suffering even begins.

The pain is gone because her rear leg has been amputated. Once she healed enough past the surgery (which wasn't long), she returned to the rompy, stick chewing, tail wagging, funny beast that she is.

In my eyes, that is how she will always remain.

Heather and I got away for a night. I've come home to River after a slight breather and I told her everything I've just told you.

For the rest of her life...fun, fun, fun. If we get a movie made in the next few years, or five, or ten...it doesn't really matter. It's about loving a magical dog.

All of our dogs are magical. Don't you think?

For now, love, love,

Ruth and River
p.s. Heather and I slow danced in the hallway here at the house;) We can go backwards fairly well.



No comments:

Post a Comment