Saturday, February 5, 2011

River - Telling you about the CHILDREN!

Day 31 of 365

For Newbies: Here's how the story begins:  http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

Remember the goal: Finding a producer or celeb or anyone who will help make Piper's Someday (the book River stars in) into a movie...

River's words of wisdom for today: "Get a bumper sticker, some business cards, and keep talking."

So, today we want everyone to think about children. Yes, I know when we grow up, we just become big kids...but, this one is for the children out there who all come home from school to their canine (and feline) companions.

6 million dogs this year will get canine cancer - 6 million cats.

I was lucky to have Heather (my partner) help me pay for some of River's costs - an anonymous friend sent me a check for $500.00 which paid for her first chemo. I'm still out of work and River has four more treatments at $500.00 a pop.

So, far we are around 8 thousand dollars. River is going on 9 years old.

It is all worth it. Every second, every minute, every nickel and dime. I would sell my last pair of big girl pants for my dog.

I spoke with Tracy from Seattle last night...she's been struggling with her dog, Idgie, and her bout with cancer. We commiserated for a while. Her expenses are exorbitant, too. Idgie has a stage 2 cancer in her front leg and they have had to go in twice to remove tumors. Tracy is carefully monitoring her progress and is doting over her sweet dog like a good mom always does. She has promised to keep River and me posted as to her progress and how she's handling the stitches and the t-shirt that's wrapped around her. Tracy is "mad" about her dog and is doing all she can to take good care of her. It's great to hear stories about people going through the same situation.

Then I heard from Beth via Facebook about her story of Indy and Buddy. Indy is a golden retriever who came from a rescue group to her ten years ago and her other dog, Buddy, lost his rear leg in a car accident. At first, Beth said she was afraid that the dogs wouldn't get along, but after the first week she said that Buddy would stand and wait for three-legged Indy to walk through the door without any "jostling." Indy lived a "happy three years" longer after losing his leg. Buddy is still with Beth, however, he's getting along in age at 15. Beth says he's a "sweet mama's" boy and knows that there time is "dwindling."

So, this post is for Idgie, struggling with cancer...it is for Buddy and Indy. And, it's for Tracy and Beth. Two owners who are sharing their stories with River and me.

On a personal note, I want to say that this is also for all the children who come home each day from school (much like my Piper did in my story), and glom onto their dogs and play with them and love on them. This is for the children whose parents might not have the resources to save their dog (or cat) from the incredible amount of money it takes to care for a dog suffering from cancer. Sadly, dog owners have to cut lives short because they are unable to pay for a dog in this condition.

It is like Chloe's story I shared a while back. I can't imagine being a young child finding out that they have to put her (or his) dog down because mom and dad can't afford the cost of the care. Lives of dogs are aken away from us too early, already.

Now, cancer is affecting dog owners...and children...all over this planet.

So, for today - love to our growing list of dogs who are making a difference in the lives of their owners. A list of dogs who are making it to this blog and SHOUTING out to the world that this has to be stopped...in a real, authentic way.

They are shouting with love from their hearts. They want to stay longer and healthier...

This is for River, Scout, Chloe, Idgie, Buddy, and Indy...

Please write to us and share your story. We'd love for you to pass along the idea that a film about my second book would raise money and awareness to the children, especially to them, who are affected by this crazy disease.

Love,


Ruth and River






The above picture is of Buddy...Beth sent this one to me via Facebook...
He's the one who lost his rear leg...

To get a copy of Piper's Someday, got to http://www.ruthperkinson.net/ or to http://www.bellabooks.com/


2 comments:

  1. Just a wee correction about Indy and Buddy.
    Indy is the dog that would stand aside to let 3 legged Buddy come through the door first. Buddy lived a happy three years after his amputation. Indy is still with me, I count each day with him as a bonus.
    PB...all of my Goldens have been from a rescue group. They have all been the sweetest of dogs who just needed a "forever" family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth and River for the mention of Idgie. She goes in this week for another check up and hopefully removal of the rest of her stitches and staples. She's a trooper. I think she is more frustrated that I won't let her on the bed with me than me forcing her to wear a T-shirt. She isn't supposed to jump.
    Hugs to you all.
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete