Thursday, January 13, 2011

Writing to Sissy Spacek...

Go to http://www.bellabooks.com/ to get a copy of Piper's Someday if you need one.

Day 8 of 365

(Here's how the story begins:  http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

Remember the goal: Finding a producer or celeb who will help make Piper's Someday (the book River stars in) into a movie...

River's words of wisdom for today: "Make a list and pray with all your heart."

So, I am taking suggestions from my now 30 followers of this blog and have put them to use. River and I have tried a couple of You Tube videos and yesterday we followed the advice of a reader and wrote to Sissy Spacek. I live only an hour away from her and am hoping she will get the letter and the book. I could not find an address for her but found out that she was on the board of the Charlottesville SPCA. Talk about kismet! River and I decided we would take a moment and this is what we said. We wrote to both her and the President of the Board of the Charlottesville SPCA.

Dear Ms. Spacek and Ms. Yetzer,

On behalf of my dog, River, I am writing to you both today. River is an SPCA rescue and is an eight-and-a-half-year-old German Shepherd mix. Recently, River had her left rear leg amputated and part of her pelvis removed in an effort to save her life from a soft tissue sarcoma. This was close to a month ago. Today, she is hopping along very well on her three-legs and on the legs of the same spirit she’s always had.

River came to the Charlottesville SPCA a few years ago and became a certified Delta therapy dog. The people at the Canine Campus had trained her and me and she was certified on her first go around. Since then, she has helped children with autism and people who are bound to wheelchairs at the Virginia Home here in Richmond where she lives. She even made it to an episode of “Virginia Currents” because of her service.

Her mom (that’s me) wrote a book about a three-legged dog four years ago. It is called Piper’s Someday…the dog in the story saves the young heroine’s life on a journey of a lifetime. River is the model for the dog in the book, so you can say it was and is quite the prophetic epistle.

We’ve been blogging about River’s story on the web at www.ruthperkinson.blogspot.com
and we’ve made several videos of her progress. You see…River believes (and so do I) that her story should be in the movies, but only in an authentic way, which is to raise funds and awareness for canine cancer. River wants to help because her story is truly amazing.

I’m reaching out to see if you all can help. I am off a small independent press (Spinsters Ink) and while I’ve gotten an audience from South Africa, to Sweden, to Belgium…it is still hard getting the word out.

I am enclosing the book. Even if you don’t have time to read the first chapter, could you please offer it to someone in the community who loves dogs and great dog stories?

Thank you for your time and all that you do for the animals,


Ruth Perkinson

I hope it will get into the right hands. I am following up on the leads you all suggest as soon as we get them. Thank you to those of you who wrote to Ellen and are keeping up with the blog. If River can lose a leg, then I can write about it every day for a year...always through her eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment