Saturday, January 15, 2011

Running like a dog training for the Iditarod

Go to http://www.bellabooks.com/ to get a copy of Piper's Someday if you need one.

Day 10 of 365

(Here's how the story begins:  http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

Remember the goal: Finding a producer or celeb who will help make Piper's Someday (the book River stars in) into a movie...

River's words of wisdom for today: "When God gives you four legs - run fast. When God gives you three legs - run faster."

Today, she's running.

Today, mom is chasing - her and our dream.

So all you favorite readers out there...forward our message on! Mush, mush, mush. River went for a "walk" around the block, which is a half a mile, and instead of daintily hopping along, she ran like she's River Armstrong - no wheels, just three paws and a lot of spirit.

I can't keep up. Every now and again, I drop the leash and let her go. I read somewhere that when a dog has three legs, they need speed in their gait...it makes it easier.

To think that in 2003 I came close to euthanizing her.

Remember the 95-year-old lady (my next door neighbor)? Well, while she was in the hospital, I told her daughter, who lives across the street and is a lawyer, that I would try an electrical fence. If that didn't work, I'd either find her a new home or be forced to put her down. My neighbor agreed to the plan. She'd done hundreds of dollars worth of damage to my home and now the neighbor was in the hospital. Scout, my very sweet angelic lab mix just threw her paws in the air and said, "I don't know. Good luck."

The electric fence went up with a thousand flags. I tried to train River to the flags and once, when I wasn't looking, she tried to jump the privacy fence. This time, she got the shock of a lifetime.

After that, she never left the deck.

So, for the time being, we started to settle. River was growing into adulthood in late 2003 and I began to teach her tricks to keep her mind occupied. "Sit," and "Down" came in about four minutes.

We walked almost each day past the neighbor's house. Both Scout and River tethered to a leash...River always pulling my shoulder out of socket. I bought sixteen different collars - none worked.

Her separation anxiety was the problem I dealt with next...

Till tomorrow...thank you for reading. Here's to more suggestions...please comment or send them via Facebook or whatever. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

River loves the readers out there...

Love,

Ruth and River (and the cat)



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the daily blog, I love reading about River.

    ReplyDelete