Tuesday, January 11, 2011

River Showing off for her Followers...

Day 6 of 365 of Trying to Find a Film Producer in Hollywood or beyond...

(Here's how the story begins:  http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

I now have 28 followers...you go! You rock...pass along the good news...

Remember the goal: Finding a producer or celeb who will make Piper's Someday (the book River stars in) into a movie...

River's words of wisdom for today: "When you dig in the dirt, dig fast and hard, you'll find it eventually."

So, here's the latest video of River walking out and about in the backyard. I need to take a filming class...all of these films are one-shot wonders...no editing, none. I'm keeping them to about a minute so you won't get bored.


So, yesterday, I was relating how River jumped fences. I tore down my chain link fence and put up a six-foot privacy fence the summer after I got her. On the third day after I put the fence up, she jumped to the top, grabbed on by her front paws, and then pulled herself over. When I heard my neighbor yell (she was 95 years old at the time), I went running.

River was tooling around my neighbor as she lay in the street. I thought the worst. I thought River had jumped on her head, or worse, jumped on her and knocked her over. I called 911, got another neighbor to help, and I asked her gently what happened. Dee, my neighbor, lay in the street with a bleeding arm and she said as sweet as sweet old ladies can be, "she didn't hurt me. I just thought it was a really big squirrel coming over the fence and it scared me. She never touched me."

I put River inside after the paramedics arrived. Dee went to the hospital and I was sure she had broken every bone in her body.

But, the CT scans came back clear. Nothing broken. Just a nice cut on the arm from the fear of the large squirrel coming down on her. She spent three weeks in a convalescent home because of soreness. I brought her cookies and told her lawyer daughter that if she wanted me to euthanize River, I would.

It was the summer of 2003. I never thought I would even consider something of that nature. But, after ten months of Houdini-like activity, and then nearly knocking over my neighbor, what was I to do? Send her to a farm? Euthanize her?

I told the daughter of my neighbor I would try one more thing...an electric fence and if that didn't work, we'd go to plan "b."

More on plan "b" tomorrow.

Suggestions from last week:

A reader suggested I get in touch with Sissy Spacek since she lives in Charlottesville. I will try over the next few days to see if I can make some sort of connection.

In the meantime, if you all will just forward the story on and then perhaps ask those people to forward it on to others, River would love it.

Love to you all,

Ruth and River (and the cat)


No comments:

Post a Comment