Friday, January 28, 2011

River Speaks!

Day 23 of 365

For Newbies: Here's how the story begins:  http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

Remember the goal: Finding a producer or celeb or anyone who will help make Piper's Someday (the book River stars in) into a movie...

River's words of wisdom for today: "When asked to speak - SPEAK!"

Not since day fourteen have I continued the story of how River's journey was winding its way through my life and others. I believe I last wrote about Scout, my 10-year-old whippet lab mix, who was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2005.

Back to her for a minute.

While River remained invisible during that year of handling Scout's diagnosis and then the management of her care, I became more and more absorbed with making her (Scout) comfortable, happy while easing her way gently toward the end of her life. It was unbearable to watch a well-loved animal go through the physical illness and to be leaving us on the physical plane, eventually.

I put Scout down on June 7th, 2006. She passed in my house on the floor near the bay window she'd peered through for many years.

I had begun to write Piper's Someday a week or two before her death. While writing PS, I began to watch River and used her as the model for the three-legged dog in the book. In the book, the dog's front leg is too short, a midget paw that is unusable. River stayed next to me on the floor as I wrote each evening after work that summer.

The weird thing I truly began noticing about River was how incredibly smart she was. Just a few weeks before Scout's death, I planted two rose bushes in my backyard. One for Scout, one for River. Ironically, Scout's rose bush had a hard time taking...and, it didn't survive. So, I left it there - dead in the ground.

On one particularly difficult evening I was having, River came in with the thorny Rose bush in her mouth and put it down on the carpet on the floor next to me. She laid it in the exact spot where my vet friend, Jenny, had put Scout down.

I got chills...

I continued to write. I continued to walk River and grieve over Scout. For the first time in her life, River was calm, cool, and collected.

I needed that.

So, I taught River more tricks...she shows one off here:




Till tomorrow, thank you for reading. Please pass this along to anyone who'd like to follow the story of one miraculous doggie.

Love,


Ruth and River

Go to http://www.ruthperkinson.net/ for reviews and the link to get Piper's Someday.
Or, you can go to http://www.bellabooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment