Sunday, January 30, 2011

Inside of a Dog - Keeping it simple with WORDS!

Day 25 of 365

For Newbies: Here's how the story begins:  http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

Remember the goal: Finding a producer or celeb or anyone who will help make Piper's Someday (the book River stars in) into a movie...

River's words of wisdom for today: "When a smaller, simpler word can be used - USE IT!"

Yesterday, I wrote a bit about River and Scout and how Piper's Someday came to fruition during 2006. I use the word "fruition" because this blog is to all those doctoral people out there writing their books for the masses. A bit of advice. Simplify.

I've learned a lot about dogs and people over the years. Bottom line is...keep it simple and you'll keep their attention. Keep it quick and it's even better.

Don't get me wrong, I do love a word. A good word used in the right place to convey the right idea, expression, or attitude can make the difference between whether an audience sticks around. Even if it's a large word like, "scuppernong," for example...it it's used in the right context, a lay reader will get it. When Harper Lee used scuppernong in TKM (You know, To Kill a Mockingbird), I knew it was a yard word...something depicting something that you ate in the wild. As it turns out, a "scuppernong," is a grape. She could have said this...but I guess she was trying to edify the masses with a larger more exact word. I find this quite all right. Alright?

At any rate, I bought the book Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz yesterday at the Barnes and Noble on Libbie that has supported me greatly. I am seventy pages into the book in the hopes that I will learn more about what, as the cover suggests, dogs see, smell, and know.

I just got bungled-dee-booed over her use of the word "inculcate." This is a word I know as an educator, but this is a dog book, right??? I leapt over the word anthropomorphic several times and then crawled under the "prototypical" mutt and I think I ran smack into "atautistic" or something of that nature. She's a great writer, but I almost laughed over the latest - "inculcate." Which, I believe, is to impart knowledge, to teach. I'll cut her some slack as she's a former lexicographer for Merriam-Webster. I think that means she drove a Lexus to work and then when she got there, she worked in the graphics department (for the cover?).

River keeps me simple. Don't dogs just keep it simple. Arise. Sniff. Stretch. Love. Lick. Eat. Play. Sleep. Love some more. I'm sure there are more words for it...

But, today, I wanted to inculcate my readers by saying.

Wag. Just wag. Just say, "WAG"...especially when your boyfriend shows up. (see pic below).

Love,

Ruth and River


1 comment:

  1. You're right..... The KISS method is the best. Keep it simple stupid.. Great blog today.

    ReplyDelete