Saturday, January 29, 2011

Harness all your Energy...

Day 24 of 365

For Newbies: Here's how the story begins:  http://ruthperkinson.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-1-of-365anyone-want-to-come-along.html)

Remember the goal: Finding a producer or celeb or anyone who will help make Piper's Someday (the book River stars in) into a movie...

River's words of wisdom for today: "Harness your energy - then unleash it!"

It took me about ten weeks to write Piper's Someday - all throughout the summer of 2006. I walked River when I got home from work, ate dinner, then opened my laptop and prayed for Scout to give me some doggie wisdom as I tapped out the journey of Piper Leigh Cliff and her dog, appropriately named, Someday.

I wrote and wrote and wrote. River was calm and funny and supportive - like a good friend should be.

For breaks, we would ride...

River was healthy and I took her everywhere in my truck. With the window halfway down, she sniffed the summer breezes and did spreadsheet calculations between her nose, her ears, her eyes, and her brain. I swear she could tell when and where it was when we arrived there - whether it be the grocery store, the post office, my sister's house, or the park. Her sniffer was well-trained to know the exact distance in smelling-o-meters it was to all destinations. By the way her body moved and her whine, she would tell me we were close and get excited by a visit, a stop, or just a jump from the open door to the ground and a leap into the park.

I finished Piper's Someday all while praying to Scout - all while watching River. By the grace of God, I knew I had nailed a truly good story by asking both dogs for a really good ending...one that would resonate in the hearts of readers. It was the reader I wanted to lend a hand to through the spirit of both my animals. Even today, when I take a peek at that last page or two, I thank Scout and River for gifting me with the way to show it. I count on their sweet hearts for that;)

She can no longer jump into the truck. We haven't taken many rides anywhere since her amputation. But, River is getting ready. She's ready to be buckled in...ready for the new harness to be put on her...ready to take a ride and get going on that doggie-nose spreadsheet of hers.

She excels at that, of course.

See you tomorrow. Till then, tell your animal you love them tonight...like Maya Angelou says, "Words go into things." I believe this is true.

Love to you,


Ruth and River



For a copy of Piper's Someday or a simple review of the book, please go to http://www.ruthperkinson.net/ or to Amazon or to http://www.bellabooks.com/


1 comment:

  1. Hugging my "old guy" tonight. Each day with him is a extra day of grace. His time is running out and I know I'll always carry him in my heart.

    ReplyDelete